Pages

Monday, July 25, 2011

Review: Captain America

The Wife: Wow! Captain America was awesome! I knew it would be good, but didn't know just how great it would be. Tommy Lee Jones, you never disappoint. Dominic Cooper did a great job as Howard Stark. He nailed the arrogance of the Stark name to a tee! I felt as if I was watching Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark. I see good things in Cooper's future as an actor. Sebastian Stan, who I instantly recognized as CARTER BAIZEN from Gossip Girl, also portrayed Bucky very well (He certainly beat out his Gossip Girl co-star Blake Lively, who was in the Green Lantern, for best superhero movie). I found the friendship between Bucky and Steve Rogers (Captain America) to be very natural as well. I also must credit Hayley Atwell, who portrayed Peggy, Captain America's love interest, as being very good in her role as well. Not only was the actress beautiful, but it is refreshing to see a woman in hollywood today that actually has a body that resembles a real woman, not that of a 10 year-old girl. I don't know when or why stick-thin, none-figured women became attractive, so it was good to see Atwell, a curvy "normal" girl in the role. Not to mention she looked striking in the 1940s hair and makeup.

I must give the most credit to Chris Evans, who played Captain America/Steve Rogers. I have always found Evans to be quite the hottie all the way back to his Not Another Teen Movie days. He was also funny in The Fantastic Four films. However, he always played arrogant douchebag types, so I found myself skeptical of his ability to play the selfless Captain America. Well, Evans completely exceeded my expectations and NAILED the part! I have no doubts that he will be able to convey the great leader that is needed for next summer's Avengers film! In addition, did I mention that he isn't terrible to look at? ;)

So after much thinking and analyzing, I am calling it now — next to Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 2 (which stands alone in many ways), Captain America is the next best movie of the summer. The movie has all the elements that make a great film: excellent character development; action; humor; good overall plot; and a very believable love story. Elaborating on the love story some more, while it ends on a sad note, the development was very realistic (not rushed like many superhero film love stories) and you can see the real connection between Peggy and Captain America. The only reason I would not give this film a 10 out of 10 is due to the underdeveloped villain. We did not get enough backstory on Red Skull to fully believe his villainous nature. It was one of those "ok, we get it, he is the bad guy we aren't supposed to like" situations.

One more thing I should note about Captain America, is the pureness of the film. It isn't over-sexed like many movies today. No women walking around in bikinis and men being shirtless of the sake of looking hot. The one scene where Evans is shirtless is fitting to the actual storyline of the film. I guess what I am trying to say is that it is refreshing to see a movie that doesn't have to rely on sex to sell.

Before I end this review, I can't not mention the after credits scene. Apparently the majority of people at our movie theatre don't know that it is customary to stay after the credits of these Marvel films, so only a few of us remained for the spoiler scene at the end. Stop reading here and scroll down to Hobo Dan's review if you don't want to be completely spoiled. One of the things I was most looking forward to in Captain America was the after credits scene. I was hoping to see Loki (from Thor) and REALLY hoping to get a bit of some Tony Stark (yes, I love me some Tony Stark/Robert Downey Jr.!), well I got that and then some. We basically got a full on teaser trailer for The Avengers...and I even got a quick line from my precious Tony! Needless to say May 2012 can't come soon enough! Between The Avengers and then July 2012's The Dark Knight Rises, next summer's movie selection is looking quite promising!

Hobo Dan: Excuse me cut off t-shirt man, what are you doing? Instead of buying a tank top, you made the conscious effort to buy a regular t-shirt and cut off the sleeves. You even left the ends pointed; so now you look like Scorpion from Mortal Combat, only old and unable to shoot spears from his hands. “Get over here!” Then you decided to wear it to the movies? I can see wearing it to bail hay or work on your huge, loud truck or even to your 10 year “I’m out of jail” reunion, but to a public gathering place? You’re in your fifties. Seriously dude, get sleeves. No one wants to see your old man arms. Also, show some effort. You went with the cut off t-shirt but wore khaki pants? That’s like wearing assless chaps and a turtle neck.

Chris Evans, I apologize for ever doubting you. It’s just that I only ever saw you act in movies where you were a total douche. I just figured you couldn’t do anything else. I’m sorry. The only thing about your performance that bothered me was how you had that deep voice even before all the roids turned you into Captain America. That is more of a directorial blunder though. Really Chris, you were much better than I expected. You probably saved the movie from it’s largely underdeveloped villain. Also on the acting front, Mr. Tommy Lee Jones is awesome; always. Also awesome; Dominic Cooper as Tony Stark’s father, Howard. Not only do you look like RDJ but man you did a great job acting like him. Your performance here makes me want to see The Devil’s Double even more.

I greatly enjoyed this movie. I haven't decided yet if I liked it more than Thor. Thor seemed more like it's own movie. Captain America seems so much like a preface to the Avengers. So much so that I believe it sacrificed some story. It is still a great movie, but I think it could have been even better if it wasn't so concerned with setting up the Avengers. A simple for instance is the end when Cap meets Nick Fury. If you haven't seen any of the other Marvel movies recently, you have no idea who he is. He doesn't even bother to introduce himself. Sure, how many people watching this are completely new to Marvel movies; very few. I guess I just believe movies should make sense for everyone watching them, be they long time fanboy or Mr. living under a rock for 20 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment